Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Day 146

So as part of the joys of life is adapting right? Dealing with changes as they happen. Well here is a new on for me. The commissary no longer carries my yogurt. Instead they have replaced it with a brand that is in German. I have no clue about it and the nutritional facts seem to lack as well as the ingredients. So I will be buying my yogurt off the economy which sucks because that means an atm fee and more money coming out due to the euro being more then the dollar. Joys. The only other yogurt they have there has aspartame so I will not get that one.

I also went to get my Flax Cereal I was telling you about that I add to my yogurt. Well they are currently out. I tell you I felt like screaming. So I decided to try another box of oats.



I like it but I am missing the other box. I guess I enjoyed my flax plus more then I thought.

My friend received some bad news and might have to get job right now. We go to the gym together but now that might not happen. Chris's car is over heating so he is using mine which means I am again with no car until they allow him time to take his car.

I am starting to really get frustrated because just when things were starting to look up I might have to stop going to they gym until I get my car back. The joys of A) The Army & B) Living in a country where the people freak out if they work more then 6 hours a day so nothing is open by the time my husband gets off.

Sorry to vent. I just really enjoy the gym that much and when I can't get there I get frustrated.

OK so I am having an issue with eating out. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know to stay away from things covered in sauce but what do you do when you get a menu in all German with a waiter that knows JUST enough English to get your order & that is pushing it. This is my life for the next 2 years and I want to try new places. This weekend we are thinking about trying a Thai place. Any suggestions would be great....



"Society may predict, but only I can determine my destiny." -Clair Oliver





5 comments:

divad said...

You're definately out of the honeymoon stage of cultural transition! LOL I think you are in the "I hate this place" stage, which soon follows with an appreciation for the fine things in the culture.

I hope you get some good advice about eating out. At least Thai food is basically healthy...stir fry etc. You should be fine if you don't overeat, eat lightly the day of eating out and stay away from obvious high calorie choices. (deep fried rolls etc.) I love Thai Fresh Spring Rolls...delicious. And, of course, avoid the bread basket. Do they do that in Germany? They are known for their bread, right? But, we all know from your Dr. Germany who hates North Americans, that Germans only whole grains! LOL

Cole Walter Mellon said...

Thai is wonderful but avoid the heavy curries that have a lot of coconut milk. Opt for the clear soups; most places have one called TOM YUM HEAD (or something like that) that's spicy goodness in a bowl.

I'm guessing your commisary has a lot fewer choices, but can you speak to a manager about your yogurt? Maybe they can special order it for you.

Bekki said...

It will get better I promise.....

Fran said...

If you're staying in Germany the next two years I would learn some basic words if I were you.

Are shops open just 6 hours a day? Seriously? Grocery stores in Holland are open from 8 till 8 at least, only on Sunday most of them are closed.

Life isn't treating you well these days but as Cinder says: it will get better, it has to!

Marcelle said...

Fran shops here are open all day and Rewe till 10pm...so no shops are not only open for 6 hours in Germany.

Sarah...I am going to come to visit you...you and I are going to go to the german shops in your town and I am going to show you what you can buy and how to read the labels.
Its really easy...if you read carefully you can make out what is what...
So when I'm home I'm going to come to you and sleep over for a night...is that possible....let me know in FB as I wont be reading here again...